A cookie is a small file placed on the Data subject’s device that enables the Services. Any device used to access shiftin may receive cookies from the Company or from third parties such as partners and/or service providers (hereinafter referred to as the “Partners”). Cookies may also be placed in the browser when accessing third party websites that display ads or that host shiftin plugins or tags.
The Company has the legal right to store cookies on devices, if it is strictly necessary for the operation of shiftin. For all other types of cookies, Data subject’s permission is required.
hiftin relies on two types of cookies: persistent cookies and session cookies. A persistent cookie lasts beyond the current session and is used for many purposes, such as recognizing an existing Data subject, for easier access and login to shiftin. A persistent cookie stays in the device, so it will be read by shiftin when returning to it or when visiting a third-party website that uses the Services. Session cookies last only for the duration of the session (e.g.: the current visit to a website).
shiftin may also use other similar technologies to cookies, such as:
- Pixels – a tiny image that may be embedded within web pages and emails, requiring a call (which provides device and visit information) to shiftins’ servers in order for the pixel to be rendered in those web pages and emails. Pixels are used to learn more about interactions with email content or web content, such as ads or posts. Pixels can also enable the Company and its Partners to place cookies on the browser.
- Local storage – enables the application to store information locally on the device. Local storage may be used to improve the Service, for example, by enabling features, remembering preferences and speeding up functionality.
- Log in – Cookies may be used to recognize a Data subject when accessing shiftin and may also help to display the right information and personalize the experience in line with each Data subject’s selected settings.
- Security – Cookies may be used to ensure that interactions with shiftin are faster, more secure and to help the Company in detecting malicious activity and violations of the Terms of Service.
- App Preferences – Cookies may be used to enable the functionality of the Services, to provide customized content and to remember information about browsers and preferences.
- Improving shiftin – Cookies may be used to improve the shiftin experience and Services.
- Research and analytics – Cookies may be used by the Company or its Partners to learn more about how shiftin performs in different locations. Cookies may be used to understand, improve, and research Services, including access and navigation behaviours from different sites, applications or devices. Cookies may be used to determine and measure the performance of ads or posts on and off shiftin. When a Data subject is logged out of his/her account on a browser, shiftin may still continue to log his/her interaction with shiftin on that device for up to 30 days in order to generate usage analytics. This data may be shared in aggregate form with the Partners.
The Company may enable Data subjects to reject the use of certain cookies for purposes such as advertising and analytics and research, by visiting the cookie settings, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal. These settings may be changed at any time by accessing the specific section on shiftin or on the devices’ settings.